I haven’t written about hair care in a while. This was inspired by my current feelings of bleugh towards my hair.
In between training (not very consistently) for the marathon, i have let my hair go.
These dreads have started to resemble the free forming dreads.
You know, kinda like the ones sported by Bob Marley and Lauryn Hill.
This is what it kinda looks like.
This is because it is becoming difficult to fix them every so often and i am working out quite a bit.
In addition to this, i have become quite busy over the weekends. My retouch is two weeks overdue and i am very tempted to just let them be or cut them (too drastic though)
At the moment, i have had it washed and oil with Jojoba oil. I love it!!
As i wondered what to do to my hair and how to do it, i realised that they have not been moisturised in a while; and they do need to be moisturised regularly and deep conditioned.
Maybe yours needs it too.
- Do not use products that will cause build up. Avoid products that have mineral oil as their base such as beeswax and shea butter. They can leave behind a residue that accumulates and collects grime over time. When starting out you can shop around for alternate products such as Stylin Dredz Moulding Gel.
- Wrap your locks in a silk scarf at night to prevent them from loosing moisture and lint free.
Again and again my scalp has gotten inflammed and irritated during salon visits due to too much heat under the dryer. My pet peeve.
One of my friends told me about essential oils and their benefits.
- Vitamin E repairs hair and skin damage that has been caused by the environment or stress.
- Lemon, Rosemary and Tea tree oil as a treatment for dry scalp
- Basil promotes hair growth
- Lavender and Peppermint for dry hair, promotes hair growth
So far i have only tried Tea tree oil and i could feel my scalp thanking me 🙂
I try to be as natural as possible. I use half a tub of the smallest natural yoghurt, which i get from Nakumatt at around 50/-. I mix with regular vinegar. I don’t make it too runny to avoid dripping it everywhere.
I keep it on for about 30 mins with a shower cap on. Rinse it out thoroughly. And my hair is changed into soft and supple strands!! I love it when it is in this state.
I then proceed on to lock it with Stylin Dredz Moulding Gel.
In the meantime, i will just let them be and do their thing.